Each year, the National Summer Learning Association (NSLA) recognizes the outstanding work done during the summer months on behalf of our nation’s youth. Candidates for the Summer Learning Awards are exceptional summer programs, models, and systems that keep children and youth learning, safe and healthy during the critical summer months. They show strong outcomes in helping students cement the skills they have learned during the academic school year through creative curricula, unique programming and effective family engagement strategies.
There are three categories of Summer Learning Awards for award year 2020:
New York Life Foundation Excellence in Summer Learning Award:
Defined by its rigorous application and selection process, this award has recognized enrollment-based programs employing staff who work directly with youth since 2005.
NSLA Founder’s Award:
Established in 2015, this award recognizes informal programs and other non-traditional forms of summer learning innovation that are critical to serving the diverse needs of schools, families, and children.
Climate Change Award:
New this year, we also are looking to recognize programs that have a special focus on building awareness among youth about the climate change crisis and the importance of environmental stewardship.
Each award-winning program will receive:
- a $10,000 donation, generously supported by the New York Life Foundation;
- national recognition through speaking engagements, NSLA’s publications, and media outreach to national and local news outlets as well inclusion in a social media campaign.
recognition at an awards ceremony at NSLA’s national conference Summer Changes Everything™; and
- an official award seal for use on their website and in program publications.
2020 Summer Learning Awards Timeline:
- Round 1 application available – Oct 16 – Dec 13, 2019
- Semi-finalists notified – late February 2020
- Finalists notified – late April 2020
- Finalists’ site visits – summer 2020
- Winners announced – September 2020