For Immediate Release
National and Local Youth Advocates to Gather for National Conference on Summer Learning in Atlanta, Georgia from October 21-23
BALTIMORE (October 16, 2019) — More than 500 educators, researchers and funders from Georgia and around the country will join “America’s Educator” Dr. Steve Perry, NBA Legend Dikembe Mutombo and other summer learning champions in Atlanta on October 21 at the Omni Hotel at CNN Center in Atlanta for the National Summer Learning Association’s (NSLA) annual Summer Changes Everything™ national conference to discuss the impact and need for high-quality summer learning opportunities for all children to grow and thrive, particularly the nation’s most vulnerable students.
Summer Changes Everything™ is only event exclusively devoted to summer learning quality practices, policy and research. As such, NSLA’s national conference aims to elevate the essential role that summer and afterschool programs have in closing the achievement and opportunity gaps that often emerge at birth for millions of children. Conference attendees can expect a robust schedule of events and networking opportunities offer innovative and scalable strategies to meet the academic, health and well-being needs of all children during the critical summer months.
WHAT: NSLA’s Summer Changes Everything™ National Conference
WHEN: October 21-23, 2019
WHERE: Omni Atlanta Hotel at CNN Center, 100 CNN Center NW, Atlanta, GA 30303
Monday, October 21:
- Community Town Hall and release of Atlanta Summer Learning Community Landscape Report
Tuesday, October 22:
- Opening plenary featuring national awards for excellence in summer learning, presented by the New York Life Foundation, a keynote address and book signing with Steve Perry, Daytime TV host, founder of Capital Preparatory Schools
- National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine Session discussing the findings from its new report, “Opportunities to Shape Summertime Experiences: Findings from the National Academies Report”
- RoadTrip Nation Documentary Film Screening, Beating the Odds sponsored by ACT
Wednesday, October 23:
- Closing plenary: The Power of Sports to Uplift Youth and Communities, sponsored by NBA, with NBA Legend Dikembe Motumbo, Ed Foster-Simeon, President & CEO of the U.S. Soccer Foundation, Pharlone Charity Toussaint, Atlanta Program Officer, Laureus Sport for Good Foundation USA, and Andrea K. Carter, Vice President of Corporate Social Responsibility, Atlanta Hawks
To attend the conference, request interviews, and more information, please contact Laura Johnson at 410-300-6468 or email@example.com.
About the National Summer Learning Association
The National Summer Learning Association (NSLA) is the only national nonprofit exclusively focused on closing the achievement gap by increasing access to high-quality summer learning opportunities. NSLA recognizes and disseminates what works in summer learning, develops and delivers community capacity-building offerings and convenes and empowers key actors to embrace summer learning as a solution for equity and excellence in education. For more information, visit www.summerlearning.org.